Who We Are
The Friends of St. Frances X. Cabrini, Inc. is a non-profit organization formed in 2004 to save the St. Frances X. Cabrini Scituate parish, which was officially closed by the Archdiocese on October 26, 2004.
The mission of The Friends of St. Frances X. Cabrini is to be a vital, loving and effective Catholic faith community, inspired by the Holy Spirit and committed to the spiritual enrichment of its parishioners through the teachings of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
The members of St. Frances believe that we have been unjustly shuttered via the flawed process of reconfiguration introduced by the Archdiocese of Boston and that this misguided decision was based solely on the value of our parish property - 30.3 acres of prime coastal real estate. We are unwavering in our commitment to reach a fair and equitable solution for the parish of St. Frances and also the Archdiocese of Boston. The Friends of St. Frances are even open to discuss the option of buying St. Frances, in essence purchasing our church twice.
We are resolved as disciples of Jesus Christ and as a faith community; to participate fully in the celebration of the Liturgy, to address the spiritual needs of our parishioners and those in most need. Consistent with the mission of Mother Cabrini, we are committed to reaching out and offering support to all through various ministries and social programs.
The St. Frances faith family is a caring and vibrant Catholic community that welcomes all.
On July 23, 2007, the Friends of St. Frances X. Cabrini marked 1,000 days and nights of vigil. Because of the dedication and faith of its parishioners, the church has been manned 24-hours a day for more than three years.
St. Frances X. Cabrini and The Friends of St. Frances X. Cabrini are a dynamic and spiritual catholic faith community whose parishioners continue to this day to operate St Frances as a vibrant parish, holding Communion Prayer Services, outreach activities and ministries, despite being officially closed in 2004.
Services...What We Accomplish
During the past three years we have provided the following services:
- The Christmas Giving Tree - provides for the community of Scituate
- St. Frances Christmas Giving Tree - provides for families in our parish
- Lord’s Outreach Ministries, Tennessee - supplying a homeless shelter
- Festival of the Trees 2005 - “The Dove Tree” - proceeds to Cranberry Hospice
- Uganda Outreach Ministries - school supplies collected
- Warm-Up America - handmade afghans donated to local women’s shelters
- Tsunami Relief Collection
- Katrina Relief Collection
- Chernobyl Children Assistance
- Scituate Food Pantry - official drop off location
- Get Well Gift Baskets for the sick
- Furniture and clothing for a single mother
- Regularly provide Mass cards, holy water, rosary beads to local nursing home
- Food, warmth and companionship throughout the day and early evening
- Lending Library - spiritual themed books
- Calendar Recycling Project
- Annual Spaghetti Supper - Mother Cabrini Feast Day - November 13
- Children’s Christmas Crafts - Sunday before Christmas
- Plant Sale - May 2005
- Summer Bazaar - July 2005 and 2006
- Evening Under the Stars - parish fundraiser - September 2005
- Annual Parish Picnic - July 2006 and 2007
- Christmas Fair - November 2005 and 2006
- 1,000 Starry Nights - parish fundraiser to celebrate 1,000 days - August 2007
- Weekly Theme Baskets – winner drawn twice a month after Sunday service
- St. Frances Gift Shop - in the vestibule - talented vigilers have graciously donated the following items for sale to support the church:
- dove dishes,
- small quilts,
- Mother Cabrini bracelets,
- note cards,
- and other small items
- Book Club
- Knitting Circle
- SPIRITUAL LIFE
- Weekly Sunday Communion Service at 10:00 with Children’s Story - includes a social after each service with coffee and pastries
- Stations of the Cross - Lent
- Soup Supper - Lent
- Vigil Prayer Service - October 26 (commemoration of the day the vigil began)
- Additional services provided on Christmas Eve, Easter and Holy Days of Obligation
- Rosary and Chaplet of the Divine Mercy
- Weekly Prayer Group
- Parish Council
- Public Relations
- Art and Environment
- Parish Meetings - twice a month on Tuesdays at 7pm
The Friends of St. Frances X. Cabrini, Inc. is also a founding member of the Council of Parishes.
We are a strong and vibrant faith family and welcome all who would like to participate in our numerous activities or serve on our committees. Our faith has enabled us to make this experience a dynamic and spiritual journey- we are growing by leaps and bounds…in numbers and spirit.